In celebration of National Poetry Month, the South Carolina State Library is pleased to announce the nine winners in this year’s Young Minds Dreaming poetry contest. These outstanding students will be honored at the South Carolina State Library in Columbia at an award ceremony and poetry celebration on Saturday, April 27 at 1:00 p.m.
Winners, their families, and the public are invited to attend the awards ceremony where each student will read their poem and meet special guest speaker Mexican American Poet Juan Felipe Herrera, 21st Poet Laureate of the United States. Free tickets to this event are available online at Eventbrite at https://tinyurl.com/yy5b7a5a.
Group 1 (3rd-5th Grades)
- First place: Lucy Nicka, 4th grade, Coosa Elementary School, Beaufort, SC
- Second Place: Kalila O'Quinn, 5th grade, Tall Pines STEM Academy, Aiken, SC
- Third Place: Regan Matthews, 5th grade, Cross Schools, Bluffton, SC
Group 2 (6th-8th Grades)
- First place: Brant Miller, 8th grade, Homeschool student, Columbia, SC
- Second Place: Kaylee Chen, 8th grade, Dutch Fork Middle School, Irmo, SC
- Third Place: Elena Richard, 6th grade, Cross Schools, Bluffton, SC
Group 3 (9th-12th Grades)
- First place: Nathanuel Williams, 11th grade, James F. Byrnes High School, Duncan, SC
- Second Place: Ka'Lynn Neal, 10th grade, McCormick High School, McCormick, SC
- Third Place: Avery Nichols, 10th grade, James F. Byrnes High School, Duncan, SC
Young Minds Dreaming is supported in part by the South Carolina State Library, the South Carolina State Library Foundation, and SCETV.