We have a great career opportunity available for a General Library Consultant in our Columbia, South Carolina headquarters.
Under general supervision of the Director of Library Development, the Library Consultant works independently and as part of the Library Development Team to encourage best practices in public library management and operations. Consultants are keenly interested in achieving excellence for all South Carolina libraries, conducts site visits to libraries to observe, assess, advise, and train on a broad range of library practices and procedures. Each Consultant serves as a resource for public libraries and for the State Library, and contributes significantly to the overall work of the Agency.
- Engage in visits and consultations with public library staff to develop supportive relationships, assess library needs and trends, and advise library staff on best practices and problem solving
- Identify challenges and opportunities to assist public libraries in their operations and services
- Communicate new ideas and trends to library staff and advise on how to implement improvements
- Work individually or with team members to problem-solve with library staff
- Provide information via consulting and training on library activities related to programs, services, and collections
- Plan and host webinars and workshops for library staff
- Conduct training for library staff in areas of expertise
- Participate in the work of the Library Development team, including statistical reporting, budget management, and regular communication with team members.
- Create and maintain guides, toolkits, manuals, or documents related to public library services and operations
- Maintain statistics, project reports, and evaluations on services provided to libraries
- Use department funds judiciously to provide resources to libraries and support department activities
- Participate in committees and projects at the department, agency, state, and national levels related to work duties
- The Consultant identifies barriers to access and recommends resources, collections, equipment, and facility improvements to address particular library problems.
- The Consultant acts as a liaison between the State Library and selected state and national forums and local agencies and institutions.
- The Consultant assesses the need for improvement in public library staff awareness and skills, and works with the Library Development team to identify, create, and directly provide training and other learning opportunities.
Minimum and Additional Requirements
- A masters' degree in library science from an American Library Association accredited college or university and appropriate professional library experience.
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in a public library setting
- Experience with project management
- Experience developing and executing strategic plans
- Leadership or management experience
- Ability to plan and conduct instructional events and presentations
- Strong writing skills
Hiring range: $45,530 - $60,000
SCSL is committed to providing our employees with a collaborative and inclusive work environment that provides challenging work, personal and professional growth, and a work/life balance.
In addition to all the great perks we’ve already shared, we also offer:
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement, and more
- 15 days of annual leave per year
- 15 days of sick leave per year
- 13 paid holidays
- Team Building Activities – We believe in growing together
- Don’t miss this great opportunity to take your career to the next level! Apply today.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age (over 40), sex, including pregnancy and childbirth (or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.