The South Carolina State Library (SCSL) serves the people of South Carolina by supporting state government and libraries to provide opportunities for learning in a changing environment. We develop, support, and sustain a thriving statewide community of learners committed to making South Carolina stronger.
The South Carolina State Library (SCSL) is the primary administrator of federal and state support for the state's libraries. SCSL bears responsibility for public library development, service for the blind and physically handicapped, and library service to state government agencies.
We are a locus for collaborative library endeavors of all kinds and works closely with the University of South Carolina’s School of Library and Information Science. Headquartered in downtown Columbia, SCSL is well-supported with state and federal funds.
The State Library succeeds because of the people we employ — passionate professionals who believe South Carolina library users deserve first-rate resources, services, and support.
We are seeking talented, enthusiastic individuals who wish to join us in making a contribution to the development of great public libraries. The South Carolina State Library is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
- Communication — we believe communication in every direction and through multiple methods is essential to doing our work at the highest level. As an information organization, we use a transparent process for decision making which encourages creativity and fosters collaboration among staff and our community.
- Flexibility — an agile organization is one that can change course to provide better services. We define our organization in this way and pride ourselves in being good stewards of all resources.
- Community Driven — our community is the state. Our value is demonstrated in what we are able to give back as public servants. We believe that by remaining open to our community’s needs, we can personalize experiences for individuals and groups.
- Inclusivity — we strive to expand opportunities to better connect with others and break down barriers. Integrity, respect, and equality guide our performance and we are committed to hiring staff that reflect our community.
- Professionalism — our staff model professionalism by providing a welcoming environment, excellent customer service, valuing diversity, and supporting multiple methods of service delivery. A well-trained and knowledgeable staff is our greatest asset.
- A collaborative and inclusive work environment
- An excellent work culture
- Paid professional memberships
- Professional development and learning opportunities for staff
- Tuition assistance
- An opportunity to work with professionals that are passionate about delivering exceptional results and advancing the mission and vision of their organization
Columbia, South Carolina combines all the graces of the rich past with the vibrancy of the emerging Sun Belt. It's the state capital and home to the University of South Carolina. One of America's outstanding zoos, Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens, is just minutes from the state capital. The State Museum also tells the colorful history of South Carolina. If you like water sports, Lake Murray is a 50,000-acre playground less than 15 minutes from the heart of the city.