Under the general supervision of the Reference Services Coordinator and within general policy and procedural guidelines, the Reference Librarian I serves the public in its use of library resources by providing reference assistance, information and instruction to patrons in person, by telephone or electronically:
• Help customers find materials and/or information in the Library.
• Help customers use the Library’s online databases and other resources.
• Participate in the selection of reference and circulating nonfiction materials which includes ebooks.
• Participate in the selection of reference databases.
• Teach basic computer skills.
• Receives oral or written directions from the Reference Services Coordinator.
• Develops handouts, etc. for patron use of electronic media.
• Maintains reference, circulating non-fiction, magazines, and newspapers in proper order.
• Performs routine reference desk duties as necessary.
• Oversees the return of books and materials to shelves or storage places.
• Assists in keeping the library’s website current.
• Attends professional and community meetings, workshops, and conferences, as required.
• Performs other duties, as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of public library services and programs.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public and other staff.
• Ability to respond in an effective manner to the concerns of library patrons.
• Ability to understand and interpret library policies, procedures, and rules.
• Ability to keep records accurately.
• Ability to organize work for efficient use of time.
• Ability to represent the library at professional and community meetings.
• Ability to work independently.
• Keep current of library technology.
$19.63 per hour ($ 38,283.00 annually) with benefits.
To be eligible for the position, the applicant must have a Master's degree in Library Science from an accredited college, or university. Excellent communication and technical skills. Ability to perform the job functions; additional skills as required by job.
Necessary employment screenings and/or background checks will be performed.
The Greenwood County Library System requires that all applicants complete an Employment Application. To apply for a vacancy, candidates must complete a job application available from the Greenwood County Library. Cover letters and resumes may be submitted with application. Employment Applications are available at the Circulation Desk at the Greenwood County Library and at www.greenwoodcountylibrary.org under the About Us tab, then GCLS Job Openings.
Employment Application may be submitted by one of the methods listed below:
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Mail: Greenwood County Library System, Attn: Tracey Ouzts, 600 S. Main St., Greenwood, SC 29646
• Hand deliver: Greenwood County Library System, 600 S. Main St. in Uptown Greenwood, Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.