Posting Date: Thursday, May 11, 2023
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position: Branch Manager - Level 1, Librarian IV (MLIS Degree Required), Anderson Road Branch Library Pay: $49,977 per year, plus benefits
Status: Regular Full-time, Exempt
Available: June 2023
Location: Anderson Road Branch Library, 2625 Anderson Road, Greenville, South Carolina
Schedule: Mon. 1:30p-9:00p; Tues., Wed., & Thurs. 8:30a-5:00p; Fri. 8:30a-6:00p; and every 4th Sat. 8:30a-6:00p (Off on the Fri. before)
Employees in this position manage people, projects, collections, events, ideas, and a facility. They coach, schedule, direct, and supervise the staff and activities related to the operation of a branch of the Greenville County Library System (“Library”). They embody the Library’s Code of Service by creating an atmosphere where customers and employees feel invited, informed, impressed, and inspired. They greet customers and employees with a welcoming smile, and they enthusiastically provide knowledgeable and meaningful assistance in the discovery and use of Library resources, services, and technology. Work is performed under general supervision, in accord with the Library’s vision and mission, using good judgment in the application of policies and established procedures.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
These tasks are illustrative only; to carry out the day-to-day functions of the job, other duties may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position. Essential job functions designated with (E).
• Assigns, instructs, directs, and supervises branch staff to implement the branch service plan. (E)
• Provides training for subordinates; reviews performance of subordinates and makes recommendations for improvement/growth as appropriate. (E)
• Prepares staff schedules, approves leave requests, and requests assistance when supplemental coverage is needed. (E)
• Provides assistance in reference, reader’s advisory, and circulation services to customers and employees. (E)
• Assists customers with the use of computer equipment, Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, email and the Library’s website; including the online catalog and databases. (E)
• Communicates and enforces the Library’s Code of Conduct and other policies, procedures, and regulations. (E)
• Plans, organizes, schedules, and implements branch programs for adults. Coordinates branch-initiated young adult programs with the Teen Librarian.
• Assists Youth Services in providing, coordinating, and promoting children’s programs. Coordinates branch-initiated children’s programs with the Youth Services Department.
• Confers with the Access & Discovery Director and Human Resources regarding branch personnel needs, problems, vacancies, recruitment, specific position requirements, and overall employee relations. (E)
• Coordinates interviews of candidates for branch staff positions and submits recommendations of those determined to be most qualified. (E)
• Makes recommendations to the Technical Services Manager regarding the development and maintenance of the branch collection; weeds collection based on condition, timeliness, and use. (E)
• Assists in planning for changes and improvements in branch operations, including furnishings and equipment recommendations and formulation of goals and objectives. (E)
• Demonstrates knowledge of computer applications and participates in planning and administration of automation at branch level. (E)
• Assists customers with current mobile device technology and assists them in downloading and/or accessing the Library’s digital materials such as eBooks, magazines, and music. (E)
• Makes appropriate referrals to other Library units, agencies, etc., for information or materials not available at branch location. (E)
• Opens and closes branch according to established procedures. (E)
• Ensures that branch safety and maintenance issues are reported promptly and properly. (E)
• Receives and compiles statistics, memos, documentation, reports, correspondence, etc. (E)
• Keeps abreast of developments in library and information science. (E)
• Answers questions on Library operations, policies and procedures, and addresses problems and complaints. (E)
• Establishes relationships with organizations and groups in the community to promote Library services, resources and programs. (E)
• Ensures fines and fees are collected and reported accurately. (E)
• Coordinates use of branch meeting spaces and maintenance of meeting room calendar. (E)
• Works with Volunteer Coordinator to select, train, schedule, and supervise volunteers in the branch as appropriate.
• Operates, manages, and coordinates maintenance of Library equipment, including self-checkout stations, staff and public computers, telephones, printers, cash register, photocopier, and audiovisual equipment. Provides instruction and demonstrates use as needed. (E)
• Attends meetings, training programs, workshops, conferences, etc., as requested by supervisor and/or as funds are available. (E)
• Empties book drops during Library holidays and other closings. (E)
• Ensures safe work methods are followed to prevent injury. (E)
• Works a schedule that meets the needs of the unit. (E)
• Performs other related duties as required, including those of any staff member in the unit.
MINIMUM TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
• Master’s Degree in Library Science from an A.L.A. accredited college or university.
• Three years of professional library experience at a supervisory or leadership level.
• Demonstrably progressive work experience showing an increase in the level of duties and responsibilities.
• Certified or eligible for certification by the South Carolina State Library.
• Other combinations of experience and training, which meet the minimum requirements, may be substituted.
• Supervisory or leadership experience in a public library.
Must have the ability to:
• concentrate for long periods of time
• speak clearly and distinctly
• hear and/or comprehend verbal communication
• hear audible alarms and notifications
• see and interpret all job-related materials
• operate library equipment as assigned
• lift up to 25 pounds and push book carts weighing over 100 pounds
• sit for long periods of time
• stand for long periods of time
• walk, bend, and stoop
• reach, grasp, and use hands to touch, handle, or feel
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS/ABILITIES & CHARACTERISTICS
(Testing of computer skills may be part of the interview process for this position.)
• Thorough knowledge of modern library principles and of procedures and skills applicable to public libraries.
• Knowledge of supervisory methods and techniques.
• Considerable knowledge of the functions of reference and readers’ advisory services.
• Computer literate with knowledge of Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, and email.
• Knowledge of business English, spelling, and arithmetic.
• Some knowledge of publisher and dealer practices and methods.
• Ability to operate and care for computers and their peripherals, e.g. RFID pads, barcode readers, printers, etc.
• Ability to learn the Library’s integrated system software, i.e. an automation system used to manage Library processes.
• Ability to demonstrate to customers the use of computer equipment, Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, email, and the Library’s website; including the online catalog and databases.
• Ability to learn and demonstrate the use of current mobile device technology to assist customers in downloading and/or accessing the Library’s online digital materials such as eBooks.
• Ability to plan, organize, and direct activities of a branch library.
• Ability to learn and enforce the Library’s policies, procedures, and regulations to customers and employees.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of customer records and other identifiable customer uses of Library resources and services, security related incidents and personnel issues.
• Ability to learn and enforce Federal and State laws pertaining to employment.
• Ability to supervise and direct the work of others and provide coaching, training, and disciplinary actions as needed.
• Ability to effectively use independent judgment to resolve staff, patron, and operational problems within established guidelines.
• Ability to deal with difficult individuals and unusual situations with tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to communicate concepts, general information, and task-related information in oral, written, and electronic forms.
• Ability to learn, implement, and maintain complex filing systems including the Dewey Decimal System with a high level of accuracy.
• Preferred: Bilingual – English/Spanish skills.
• Preferred: Touch typing skills.
• Enjoys interacting with people and possesses a strong commitment to providing an exemplary customer experience.
• Enjoys working in a leadership role, providing direction and guidance to staff.
• Establishes rapport with others in person and on the telephone, and maintains effective working relationships with customers and coworkers.
• Works calmly and effectively in stressful situations and in a sometimes noisy and chaotic environment.
• Follows established procedures and instructions received from supervisor.
• Possesses strong leadership and organizational skills.
• Works well in a team environment.
• Values technology as a tool, staying on top of technology trends.
• Recognizes change as an ongoing opportunity for growth.
• Performs routine tasks efficiently and without difficulty.
• Uses good judgment and discretion in carrying out duties and responsibilities.
• Is receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement.
• Takes ownership of work, does what is needed without being asked and follows through until task is resolved.
• Arrives on time, works hours as scheduled, and maintains a good attendance record.
Visit the Job Openings page on our website at www.greenvillelibrary.org to submit an online employment application and/or for additional information about our application process. Inquiries may be directed to Cindy Quinn at (864) 527-9232 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
GCLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GCLS participates in E-Verify.