Henry County Library System is a 5-library system that serves a diverse and growing community of 240,000+ in the Southern Crescent area of metropolitan Atlanta. HCLS enjoys a collaborative environment that values innovation, supports professional development, and encourages an appropriate work/life balance. We are accepting applications for the position of Assistant Director for Public Services. This position reports to the Director and participates in the creation and ongoing evaluation of policies and procedures that steer quality public service and support staff morale and wellbeing. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Directly supervising and supporting the five Branch Managers and, by extension, providing support and guidance to branch staff as needed.
• Identifying staff training needs; planning and implementing staff training programs; identifying appropriate continuing education opportunities from outside providers.
• Working in collaboration with the leadership team to establish and continually evaluate procedures for efficient and quality public services.
• Participating in continuing education opportunities as assigned, including occasional conference attendance.
• Representing the library system at community events and meetings; making presentations to the Library Board, Board of Commissioners, and community groups as needed.
• Acting in place of the Director as needed in the Director’s absence.
• Collaborating with Marketing, Outreach, and other programming staff to promote and expand library services in the community, and participating in the development of partnerships with other community agencies.
• Participating in development of the annual budget, administrative decision-making and goal setting for the system.
• Monitoring facilities for needed repairs and communicating maintenance needs to the appropriate agency.
• In-county travel is required (frequent) and out of county travel may be required for training, meetings, and conference attendance (occasional). Overnight travel out of the area will usually not exceed one-two occurrences per year.
• This is an in-person position. Remote work may be approved on occasion, on a case-by-case basis, but being present and engaged is an essential component of this position. Administrative hours are generally Monday-Friday 9:00 to 5:00, but some flexibility in scheduling is allowed.
• MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution.
• GA Librarian License Grade 5b or higher, or ability to obtain upon hire.
• Five years supervisory or administrative experience in public libraries.
• Two years customer service experience in a public library setting.
• Ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels of the organization.
• Relevant experience that provides transferrable skills may be considered.
Preferred skills and knowledge:
• Basic knowledge of human resources and employment best practices.
• Grant-writing experience.
• Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
• A proactive approach to problem-solving, and a dedication to identifying and removing barriers to service are a plus.
Position available approximately April 15, 2024 (negotiable) and is open until filled. Salaried (exempt) position; starting salary $55,000-$60,000 depending on qualifications. Generous paid holidays, vacation and sick leave accrue from date of hire. HCLS participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Georgia (mandatory); TRS service is transferrable. Optional health insurance under State Heath and other flex benefits including dental, vision, legal, and life insurance are available through Georgia Breeze. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Kathryn E. Pillatzki, Director
Henry County Library System
1001 Florence McGarity Blvd.
McDonough, GA 30252
or by email to email@example.com
HCLS is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or national origin. Consistent with the Americans Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process. We are a Drug-Free Workplace. Federal law requires new employees to supply documents proving their employment authorization by the third day of employment. A photo ID will be required. Henry County Library System participates in E-Verify.
E-Verify Employer ID: 413893
Authorized on: 01/01/2011