This position is located at the Headquarters library and provides excellent reference service and readers' advisory in youth literature. Develops and presents innovative and dynamic programs for youth from birth through grade 12. May act as Team Lead on a regular basis in the absence of the manager. Works with other YS Librarians II under the direction of the Division Manager for Programs to plan and implement new services and programs for youth. May be assigned system-wide responsibilities such as grant management, new service development, or ordering materials.
• Supervises, hires, trains, evaluates and schedules Youth Services staff within the assigned branch or within the system to ensure policies and procedures are followed, customers are given efficient, prompt, and competent assistance, and pleasant working conditions are maintained.
• Ensures the development, implementation, and evaluation of a dynamic and robust schedule of age-appropriate programs at library locations and for outreach programs. Develops plans for Youth Services programming to ensure adequate number of programs for children and their caregivers are provided and effectively promotes programs using system resources.
• Aids customers at service points by assisting with information requests and readers’ advisory. Assists customers with technology questions as needed.
• Oversees Youth Services collection development including print and electronic materials under the direction of the Division Manager for Collection Development, or Branch Manager. Deselects obsolete and worn materials; makes recommendations for replacement materials and may contribute to system wide collection development areas, including responsibility for expending a designated portion of Youth Services materials budget.
• Promotes library Youth Services and programs through, but not limited to public outreach such as informational fairs, school and/or childcare center visits, and writing occasional articles as requested, and working collaboratively with agencies serving youth
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in Library Science and one (1) year of professional library experience, preferably including six months of supervisory experience.
Experience in providing services to youth and one year experience supervising staff. A demonstrated ability to manage a grant-related project with minimal experience.
We accept on-line applications only. You may complete the application from our website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cumberlandcountync/jobs/3579592/librarian-ii-ys-pos117000046
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed county application.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Contact Sandra Walker (910) 323-6100 email@example.com
at the Cumberland County Human Resources Department.
Library website: https://www.cumberlandcountync.gov/departments/library-group/library