The Evening Library Assistant provides reference and circulation services to library users, answers directional
and informational questions about the library, its resources, and services. The individual monitors and troubleshoots routine technology use and other basic computer tasks and maintains the evening and weekend library operations
including the opening and closing procedures. The ability to work a flexible schedule which may include weekend assignments is required.
• Perform tasks related to day-to-day operations of the library: open and close library building, monitor patron
use of equipment, materials, and facility, respond to safety and security issues.
• Provide direct customer service to library patrons and assistance in using the library and its resources.
• Assist library patrons with routine technology use, such as printing, scanning, copying, emailing, formatting,
downloading, and other basic computer tasks. Monitor status of systems and troubleshoots as needed.
• Provide assistance to the Director of Digital Library and Learning Commons in preparation, promotion, delivery, and evaluation of programs and outreach as needed.
• Assist with collection movement and maintenance by shelving, shelf reading, merchandising, pulling from lists, processing incoming and outgoing materials, and checking materials in and out, as needed.
• Works on special projects and performs other tasks as instructed to support library services and operations, for
example, assisting with Archives projects
• Maintain a familiarity with the library’s physical and electronic collections and resources.
• Assist in maintaining a welcoming and comfortable library environment.
• Assist with library ongoing projects.
• Perform routine clerical and administrative functions.
• Other duties as assigned.
DEPARTMENT: Academic Services
SHIFT: 4:00pm -9:00pm, Monday-Thursday; may include some weekend hours
Salary: $10,000 - $15,000
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
• A Bachelor’s degree or an associate degree with a combination of customer service experience. Experience in library services is preferred.
• Experience using computers and other related technology, such as smart phones, tables, cloud-based software, mobile apps, etc., in the workplace.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, etc.) and knowledge of library-related software, standard office equipment and procedures.
• Knowledge of basic library policies and procedures
• Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in the application of policies, procedures, rules, or regulations in difficult or sensitive situations.
• Ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
• Good customer service skills.
Applications should include a cover letter and resume and must be sent, preferably in PDF format, to email@example.com. The subject line of the email should read "Part-Time Evening Library Assistant." The process will continue until the position is filled.