We have a great career opportunity available for a Discus Training Coordinator in our Columbia, South Carolina headquarters.
Under the general supervision of the Electronic Resources Director, The Discus Training Coordinator works in coordination with other training/outreach staff to support the State Library’s electronic resources program Discus - South Carolina’s Virtual Library. The position is responsible for conducting training and instruction on the use of Discus research databases and increase awareness of the Discus program. Selected candidate may support special communities as part of their training responsibilities.
The candidate must have excellent customer service skills with the ability to interact courteously and effectively with internal and external customers. They should have excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines under limited supervision. They must have the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with all levels of staff and management. The candidate should be open to innovation and changing technologies and be willing to incorporate them into presentations. They must be flexible and adaptable to various presentation and training venues. Under limited supervision of the Director of Electronic Resources, exercise independent judgement and handle customer interactions with diplomacy and tact.
- Determine training needs through feedback from Discus communities, develop appropriate presentation topics and materials, and conduct in-person training sessions at schools and school districts throughout SC and at the SC State Library.
- Conduct presentations and staff exhibit tables at all appropriate major conferences within South Carolina. Research and attend additional statewide conferences appropriate to the Discus audience and promote Discus participation to non-participating eligible institutions. Track presentation and exhibit attendance and follow-up on attendee questions and technical issues.
- Create, maintain, and add training materials to the department's document library. Coordinate with the Customer Support Specialist on promotional materials needed for trainings and conferences. View vendor-led national training sessions to ensure knowledge of current and new Discus resources.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Participate in pre-approved professional development conferences and seminars.
- A bachelor’s degree and relevant training and development experience.
- This position will require the operation of a state vehicle; must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Two years of experience in the delivery of training/instruction.
- Experience in using electronic information databases, and computer technology.
- Educational experience in a K-12 environment.
- Knowledge of training principles and practices, methods of conducting training sessions, and creation of accompanying materials.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to gauge user’s technical knowledge and communicate with them appropriately.
- Knowledge of different types of learning styles and techniques to accommodate diverse audiences.
- Ability to analyze training needs and resources to create and deliver presentations to individuals and groups via in-person sessions.
1. Do you have a bachelor’s degree and relevant training and development experience?
2. Do you have a valid driver’s license?
3. Would you accept a salary within the agency hiring range of $43,030 - $61,323
4. If you listed a degree on your application, have you attached a copy of your college transcripts? If not, please email to Rashad Hickson at email@example.com
5. Do you have experience working with research databases? If yes, list the research databases you are fluent using.
6. Describe your experience with training and presentations and list the tools you have used.
7. Where did you hear about this position?
Hiring Range: $43,030 - $61,323
Need more reasons to apply?
SCSL is committed to providing our employees with a collaborative and inclusive work environment that provides challenging work, personal and professional growth, and a work/life balance.
In addition to all the great perks we’ve already shared, we also offer:
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement, and more
- 15 days of annual leave per year
- 15 days of sick leave per year
- 13 paid holidays
- Team Building Activities – We believe in growing together
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age (over 40), sex, including pregnancy and childbirth (or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Works in an office environment with frequent day travel required; occasional overnight travel expected both in state and out-of-state. Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- If selected for an interview, the candidate will be expected to give a brief, in-person presentation as part of the process. The presentation requirements will be outlined at the time the interview is scheduled.
- Supplemental questions are considered part of your official application. Any misrepresentation will result in your disqualification from consideration for employment.
- Complete the state application to include all current and previous work/salary history and education. A resume will not be accepted nor reviewed in lieu of a completed state application to determine if an applicant has met the qualifications for the position.
- Include a cover letter, resume, copy of college transcripts, and three professional references. Reference and background check will be conducted.
How to Apply:
All applications must be submitted online at: