Seeking an enthusiastic, tech-savvy librarian who can lead the Reference/Technology Department at a large branch of Lexington County Public Library. Would be responsible for leading a team of 6 in coordinating and implementing programming and outreach. Supervises staff within work area, provides feedback concerning programs and services delivered by staff. Responsible for establishing partnerships and building relationships with organizations and businesses within the community. Advocates all library services, technologies, and programs to the community. Provides technology and reference assistance to patrons. Responsible for building and maintaining a diverse and well-rounded collection of Reference and non-fiction materials that meets the community’s needs. Serves on System Committees.
• Supervises staff of Reference/Technology department. Includes scheduling staff, instructing, planning, assigning work, maintaining standards, coordinating activities, allocating personnel, acting on employee problems. Reviews the work of subordinates for completeness and accuracy; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for improvement. Offers training, advice, and assistance as needed. Coaches and mentors subordinates and colleagues. Assists in the interview and training processes for other employees. Serves on internal committees and assists in establishing and implementing policies, procedures, and goals for assigned branch and for own department.
• Coordinates 1-2 year program schedule for Reference/Technology department. Plans, implements, and evaluates library programs for adults. Plans and implements workshops and training sessions, including one-on-one training for teachers, home school parents, civic groups, seniors, and the public at large. Analyzes current levels of programming and patron demand to determine need for new programming types or changes in amounts or frequency of programming.
• Coordinates Collection Management of department. Performs Community Analysis to determine customer’s needs and interests. Develops Collection Management Plan for assigned area, including evaluating and determining internal budgeting allocations. Reviews and selects materials for acquisition. Manages weeding and replacement of materials as needed.
• Provides Professional reference services to patrons including researching and answering references questions in person, over the telephone, online, and in writing. Expertly assists library patrons in using various resources and technology such as tablets, eReaders, computers, copiers, scanners, etc. Provides reader's advisory services for adults. Creates bibliographies and maintains and updates reference files. Creates displays to promote resources.
• Promotes the library and its services and programs to the public. Makes media and public appearances. Assists in the maintenance of the library's website. Leads group tours of the library and represents the library to meetings of civic groups, schools, and other community organizations and events. Attends county and community meetings as appropriate.
• Participates in System Collection Development and program Committees. Maintains records and statistical data including programming, patron references, and collection data. Prepares and processes reports based on that data and provides analysis and action points. Suggests policy and procedure changes to services.
• Serves as Manager on Duty for the branch as needed. Evaluates department equipment and furnishing needs and makes recommendations to Branch Librarian. Ensures department meets performance standards. Coordinates ordering of necessary supplies and equipment for department.
• Performs other similar duties as required including working the Circulation Desk, the Youth Services Desk and programming as needed. May be called on to sub at other locations.
Irmo Branch Library
Requires public speaking. Requires evening and weekend work including Sundays. Services as Manager on Duty as needed. Must be able to provide own transportation to outreach and community events.
ALA accredited MLIS/MLS
Lexington County Human Resources