The South Carolina State Library Circulating Kits contain everything you need to host a library program.
These kits are intended for hands-on interaction for all ages, although some kits are more appropriate for certain age groups. We offer over 100 circulating kits for libraries to use that include Legos, Kitchen-in-a-Box, Board Games, DIY Escape Rooms, Bilingual Storytimes, Virtual Reality, Let’s Talk About It book kits, and many more.
Reserving a Kit
See available kits with descriptions and instructions, and make a reservation via our Equipment Booking Catalog. Kit reservations may be made up to 90 days in advance. Each user may have up to 2 kits checked out at one time.
How it Works
Go to the Reserve a Kit button and select a kit from any category. Choose dates from the calendar and Add to Cart. Accept the terms and conditions and complete the booking information. You’ll get an email from Library Events at the email email@example.com to let you know your booking is received for approval, and then when the booking is approved and when the item is checked out for delivery.
Teachers & School Media Specialists
We encourage teachers and school media specialists to utilize the circulating kits by working with their closest public library. You may make a reservation under your name and contact info, but due to courier restrictions, the kits can only be delivered to South Carolina public library locations. You are responsible for communicating with library staff about kit reservations.
To reserve for school use:
- Contact your local public library and ask who is the contact person for circulating kits.
- Reserve the kit with your name and contact info.
- Select "School" under Organization Type
- Select the library system name and type the branch name and address
- Include the public library contact name and email in the Notes field.
Loan Periods and Delivery
- The loan period on most kits is two weeks, except for book club kits which have a 6-month loan period.
- Kits are delivered via SCLENDS or FedEx. Return labels will be provided. Richland and Lexington libraries receive the kits via their county couriers. You may also arrange to pick up kits at the State Library during normal business hours.
- Travel time for kits is 1-3 business days; please allow for delays when planning your program.
Borrowers assume responsibility for broken, lost, or missing items from kits. However, we understand that things happen and we are willing to work with you on a situational basis. If anything is wrong with the kit during your reservation, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (803) 734-1481