South Carolina State Library
Columbia, South Carolina
Columbia combines all the graces of the rich past with the vibrance of the emerging Sun Belt. It's the state capital and home to a major university. One of America's outstanding zoos, Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens, is just minutes from the state capital. The State Museum also tells the colorful history of South Carolina. If you like water sports, Lake Murray is a 50,000-acre playground less than 15 minutes from the heart of the city.
The South Carolina State Library is the primary administrator of federal and state support for the state's libraries. SCSL bears responsibility for public library development, service for the blind and physically handicapped, and library service to state government agencies. The Agency is a locus for collaborative library endeavors of all kinds and works closely with the University of South Carolina’s School of Library and Information Science. Headquartered in downtown Columbia, SCSL is well-supported with state and federal funds. We serve the people of South Carolina by supporting state government and libraries to provide opportunities for learning in a changing environment. The State Library succeeds because of the people we employ: Passionate professionals who believe South Carolina library users deserve first-rate resources, services, and support. We are seeking talented, enthusiastic individuals who wish to join us in making a contribution to the development of great public libraries. The South Carolina State Library is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
The South Carolina State Library is seeking a Library Collections and Services Director to lead our library collections and services department in alignment with the agency’s mission, goals, and strategic directions. The library collections and services department is comprised of library staff responsible for providing library services to patrons, and acquiring and making resources accessible. This position is responsible for overseeing the library functions of the South Carolina State Library, to include research assistance to legislators, and their staff, state employees, and the general public.
Starting salary range $49,594 - $70,674 depending on experience.
Benefits Include: vacation (15 days per year); sick leave (15 days per year); holidays (13 days per year), standard benefits package and South Carolina State Retirement System.
Examples of Work
- The Library Collections and Services Director will conduct a range of tasks with responsibilities which may include:
- Supervise employees by applying management principles according to South Carolina State Library policy and procedures.
- Completing performance management timely and accurately, and monitoring employee progress towards goal attainment
- Communicate expectations and provide feedback to assist employees with performance improvement, professional development, and skills/competency development
- Coordinate and implement public services to library patrons including but not limited to circulation, interlibrary loan, ready reference, and research assistance
- Responsible for promotion and outreach activities related to the library services and resources offered by the South Carolina State Library
- Coordinate selection, budgeting, and approval of materials for the collection in both print and electronic formats
- Oversee the state documents depository unit, and the federal documents depository program.
- Serve a primary contact for digitization support to public libraries and other state partners.
- Serve a liaison between the public libraries and the South Carolina State Library
- Serve a primary representative of the South Carolina State Library on the South Carolina Digital Library Advisory Board.
A bachelor’s degree and professional experience related to the position
- A masters' degree in library science from an American Library Association accredited college or university
- Ten (10) years professional library experience
- Five (5) years supervisory experience, supervisory experience critical
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage project activities through the supervision of subordinate staff
- Ability to develop, implement, and monitor departmental and project budgets
- Familiarity with best practices in the areas of collection development and library public services
- Knowledge of current digital collections technologies, standards, platforms, and products
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age (over 40), sex, including pregnancy and childbirth (or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. The State Library actively promotes professional development and learning opportunities for staff. Work takes place in an office environment. Overnight travel is not expected for this position, however may be occasionally necessary. Some local travel is expected. Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- Supplemental questions are considered part of your official application. Any misrepresentation will result in your disqualification from consideration for employment.
- Please complete the state application to include all current and previous work/salary history and education. A resume will not be accepted nor reviewed in lieu of a completed state application to determine if an applicant has met the qualifications for the position.
- Please include a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Reference and background check will be conducted.
All applications must be submitted online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sc/jobs/2718710/library-collections-and-services-director?department=State%20Library&sort=PositionTitle%7CAscending&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
If you have any questions concerning this job posting, please email Deborah Pack, Human Resources Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.