Oversees Adult Services at the Main Branch. Responsible for the development and execution of strategic patron-centric planning for Adult Services. Works with reporting staff and the Assistant Director to ensure consistent development and delivery of adult patron services within the Programming, Research and Reference departments. Manages Library operation with the Head of Youth Services in the absence of the Executive Director and Assistant Director.
Works under the supervision of the Assistant Library Director.
Supervises all Reference, Programming, and research Librarians and support staff.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
(These tasks are illustrative only; to carry out the day-to-day functions of the job, other duties may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position.)
- Responsible for supervising the professional and non-professional staff in the Reference/Programming Department, South Carolina Room, and Periodicals/ ILL dept. including but not limited to, training, evaluation and conducting of performance reviews and counseling, including making recommendations for hiring, promotion, merit pay increases, disciplinary action, and terminations that are given particular weight by the Assistant Library Director.
- Oversees the development and administration of reference patron contact services, all adult program and outreach initiatives, historical/genealogical research initiatives periodical/ILL services.
- Manages Library system’s adult program policy & procedures, recommends changes, creates documentation, and works with staff trainers to implement system-wide training as needed.
- Oversees reference desk policy and procedure training system-wide.
- Coordinates and supervises adult programming.
- Coordinates reference staff training to assist patrons as needed. Ensures reference staff knows procedures for meeting room reservations A/V equipment research guidance, community assistance referrals as needed by patrons. Refers issues to IT as needed.
- Evaluates adult non-fiction and reference collection for age, condition and currency in assigned subject areas. Makes deletions based on criteria from the Collection Development Policy. Performs Selector purchasing duties as assigned.
- Serves as a member of the management team to formulate and implement organizational goals and objectives. Participates in library special projects as required or as necessary.
- Provides leadership and training to enhance customer services skills of staff.
- Effectively uses independent judgment to resolve staff, patron and operational problems within established guidelines. Interprets library policies and procedures to the public in a customer-friendly manner.
- Assists in future planning for change and improvement in system-wide operations, including budget recommendations.
- Assists in budgeting for the collections, services, and programs of the Adult Services Department.
- Maintains professional development through various workshops, literature, and other means; consults and shares information with co-workers and other library staff.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with community groups, area organizations and professional library groups.
- Assists patrons/covers the reference desk as needed for inquiries or escalated concerns.
- Able to assist in changes of daily work schedule due to unexpected public demands.
- May be required to work nights and weekends.
- May fill in other positions within the Library System.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Salary Range: $51,000-61,000 + Benefits
Education and Experience:
(A) Master’s degree in library science from an American Library Association accredited university; and
(B) At least five (5) years of library experience and supervisory experience. Experience in reference required.
(C) Reference or circulation management experience preferred.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(A) Knowledge of standard library functions, practices, and procedures with an emphasis on Reference; ability to plan and organize workloads and schedules; ability to set priorities; ability to interpret the library’s resources and services to the community; ability to adjust to changes in the daily work schedule; ability to handle and assign multiple projects at the same time.
(B) Excellent research, clerical and computer skills, including internet experience; ability to perform detailed and precise work.
(C) Ability to effectively supervise staff; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, employees, branch managers and system personnel; ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; ability to work in a team environment as well as independent work.
(D) Ability to evaluate staff performance and design solutions to perceived needs; work experience proving the ability to effectively supervise staff; ability to mentor staff to improve performance.
(E) Ability to use good judgment and discretion in carrying out duties and responsibilities.
(F) Customer service oriented.
(G) Must possess a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain one.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age (over 40), sex, including pregnancy and childbirth (or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. The Anderson County Library actively promotes professional development and learning opportunities for staff.
Send an Anderson County Library application (http://www.andersonlibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Anderson-County-Library-Employment-Application.pdf ) and a resume with three professional references (which include name, address, telephone and e-mail contact information) to Robert Peirce, Human Resources, Anderson County Library, 300 N. McDuffie Street, Anderson, SC 29621 or firstname.lastname@example.org Also include a sample of your professional writing of at least two pages, on any topic related to public library interests. Reference and background check will be conducted. A resume will not be accepted nor reviewed in lieu of a completed ACL application to determine if an applicant has met the qualifications for the position.