This position typically provides the development, planning and coordinating of library activities and services; and deals courteously and effectively with fellow employees and citizens.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs a variety of duties, including managing the day to day operations of a library branch.
- Supervises, trains and evaluates the staff, creates a cohesive team that provides excellent customer service and coordinates the services of circulation, reference and readers' advisory.
- Performs collection development and evaluation and provides timely and telling narrative and statistical reports to the administration.
- Serves as a community liaison with the Schools, residents and civic clubs and organizations in and around the surrounding areas.
- Serves as a member of the library system's management team.
- Represents the library system at professional conferences.
- Performs outreach and collaborates with other agencies.
- Develops programs and activities.
- Provides support to other departments and frontline staff.
- Coordinates and participates in outreach opportunities.
- Attends training, webinars and readings.
- Orders and stocks materials and weeds collection.
- Trains staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position requires the employee to reach, pull and push with hands and arms; stand; use hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work is regularly performed in a relatively safe, secure and stable work environment. Thirty-seven and one half (37.5) hours per week. Normal operating hours are Monday through Friday 9:00am until 5:00pm with the ability to work flexible hours when necessary. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.
Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- Master's degree in Library and/or Information Science;
- Four (4) years of library experience;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record.
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of personal computer experience including Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of technology trends and understanding their role in providing library services and resources.
- Knowledge of automated library systems software.
- Ability to display a demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- Ability to prepare purchase orders.
- Ability to manage inventory and property.
- Ability to manage grant funds.
- Ability to make budget recommendations and manage the budget.