The Adult Services Librarian plans and provides programming & services for adult patrons, selects circulating and non-circulating materials for adults, performs collection management and maintenance, conducts computer instruction for the public, and provides reference services to all ages. This position is primarily stationed at the Marion Library, reporting to the Branch Operations Coordinator, but requires that the Adult Services Librarian fill in at the branches when necessary. This is a supervisory position, overseeing the Technical Services Department, and requires independent judgement and action within specific parameters.
This position requires the ability and willingness to travel to any branch in the system. Evening and weekend shifts may be required.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Develops, coordinates, and presents adult programming and outreach consistent with community needs.
- Provides instruction for patrons in the use of library catalog and databases, internet, and basic office software such as word processors and spreadsheets.
- Helps patrons conduct genealogy research and maintains the South Carolina room
- Staffs service desks, answers reference questions, and provides readers’ advisory services.
- Performs collection development, management, and maintenance.
- Supervises the Technical Services Department.
- Assists in troubleshooting technology problems for public and staff, including issues with smartphones, tables, e-readers, computer applications, and library software.
- Evaluates and prioritizes the needs of the library’s adult services on a regular basis; reporting and advocating these needs to the Branch Operations Coordinator.
- Serves as a member of the Interlibrary Loan Team.
- Assists with creation and maintenance of displays for adults.
- Assists with monitoring and approving requests to post flyers and notices.
- Represents the library to community groups.
- Participates in library planning and committees.
- Keeps informed of current events and of developments in the library field. Attends professional workshops and conferences.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of equipment including computers and hand-held scanners.
- Must be able to maneuver/lift 25 pounds of library materials.
- Must be able to shelve materials on shelves from ankle level up to about head level.
- Must be able to operate telephones.
- Must be able to stand and sit for long periods of time.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in standard English.
- Requires participating in community events that take place outside.
- This position starts at $34,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Compensation package includes generous health care benefits, paid leave, and opportunities for professional development. Participation in the state retirement plan is required.
- Masters in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program or a comparable combination of education and experience
- Supervisory experience
- Valid SC driver’s license
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Advanced computer skills and ability to troubleshoot public computer problems
- Ability to set priorities and complete projects independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as assigned
Personal transportation that can be used for business travel is required.
- One to three years of public library experience as a professional librarian.
- Progressively responsible supervisory experience in a public library.
- Skills or experience in one or more of the following areas: IT support, ILL, SC historical research, genealogy research, fluency in Spanish, peer training, website maintenance, graphic design, marketing, social media.
Interested applicants should submit an application for employment, resume, cover letter, two letters of recommendation, and unofficial transcripts to:
Holly Evans, Director
Marion County Library System
101 E Court Street
Marion, SC 29571
Application form can be found at: http://www.marioncountylibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/application.pdf
Employment tests may be required. Open until filled.